Thursday, March 6, 2014

Becoming an Educated Owner and Rider

Ok, it's been awhile.
I am learning how to be a horse owner. Being here in Florida, on my own with my two horses has really made me see how uninvolved I have been in their care. Not only am I the decision maker now, but, Stryker (being the princess and the pea) has given me the opportunity to see that as a horse owner, I cannot blindly trust anyone really. I'm learning that I need to educate myself and be able to make decisions for myself according to what I think is best for my horses.
Stryker has been having all sorts of problems, at first I thought it was attitude, but it kept getting worse and I realized that he was in pain. I had the vet look at him at first and do a flexion test. He tested positive on his hind legs and the vet immediately wanted to give him injections and put shoes on his front feet. Of course, I wanted to do what she said, but wasn't sure if it was the right thing so I reached out to some people I trust and made my decision based on that. I decided to have someone come out for a second opinion, a chiropractor who was recommended to me by a woman here in Florida. I am so glad I had her look at him, she worked on him for a full hour and by the end Stryker was not showing any pain in his back and showed so much more relaxation and comfort just in the way he was standing. The difference I saw in him after he was worked on was unbelievable! He has had 2 days off and will go back to work tomorrow. I am not expecting him to have let go of his attitude, because I believe that he's become defensive and until he realizes he can work without pain, his attitude will still be a defense mechanism.
Galaxy, on the other hand, has been getting worked primarily in the last week while Stryker has been in recovery mode. He was definitely worn out yesterday, in time for our day off. He's doing really good work, on the lunge and under saddle. Mrs. P thought it looked like I was fighting my saddle, as in my saddle was hindering my ability to balance and give aids. So, she put me in an old Spirig saddle, and wow, I absolutely hate to say it, but I will need a new saddle at some point. In the Spirig I was able to really feel his back and was lighter and more secure in the seat, not to mention how much more quiet my legs became. So, I'll put it on the future project list to keep my eye out for a used saddle that will fit both me and Galaxy. I had never realized before that a saddle has to fit the rider too, I mean more then just be big or small enough for the seat. It has to be shaped correctly for the rider and enhance the seat rather then just be something that you sit on.
I will hopefully get to put up an update after Stryker gets back into work again. I was so happy after I saw the change in his body after being worked on, but riding will be the real test. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment